1.19.2009

Sundance Day 2 and 3

Sunday:
After getting to sleep around 4:15, I woke up at 9:00 surprisingly not too sleepy. I decided to check out Main Street starting with the Queer Lounge. There, I met a cameraman from E! and saw two of the guys from Super Troopers who came in for an interview. Walking down Main Street toward the Sundance House, I found myself walking behind Zooey Deschanel and Joseph Gordon-Levitt, who ran into one of his costars from Brick. I diddn't get to talk to Zooey, I just saw her from behind, but girls would pass her and turn around to follow her. That must get so annoying and be incredibly weird. Yes she's gorgeous, yes she's a great actress, but she's just a girl who happens to make movies. I went back to the QueerLounge to hang out and attens a panel on Prop 8 and film activism. When I was going up the stairs, Kevin Bacon was being interviewed and I think I'm in the back of the shot, but I don't know what channel it was, so oh well. The panel was fantastic, and when it was over I headed up to Slamdance headquarters to get a ticket for a documentary called Graphic Sexual Horror. I had met some of the people from the film at QueerLounge and they convinced me to go. Wow. The documentary is about a website called Insex, an extreme bondage/S&M site. My mind was sufficiently warped for a little bit afterward, it was really good. I ran into them after the screening and was able to talk to them some more. Before I went to Graphic Sexual Horror, I checked out New Frontier. The art pieces were really neat, but the red lighting and the constant sound of birds gave me a bit of a headache. By the end of that day, my little bit of sleep caught up to me big time. I totally hit the wall and was ready to go to bed-which is why I didn't update that night.

Monday:
I arrived at Eccles at around 10:15 or so to waitlist for the premier of Brief Interviews with Hideous Men. After about an hour of one or two other crazies showing up to join me, the "unofficial" line quickly grew. I'm happy to say that the waitlist room is back and so are the policies. They cleared the room out then led our line down. We got our numbers about a half hour later, #1 for me, and I went in search of food as it was 1:15. I ended up at the sit down Pizza Hut and tried one of their new pastas. It was so damn good. I only got to eat a little bit of it before I had to run it to the fridge in my room and haul ass back to the waitlist room to get back in line. I don't know how many waitlisters actually got in, but I did. I loved it. It's nonlinear format was put together well. I haven't read the book, but I'd be curious to. John Krasinski is more than an actor, he adapted and directed this, and I think he did a fantastic job for a first effort. After that movie, I headed over to the Holiday Village theatre to waitlist for the Shorts Program III. Those were really good. They all varied in style and subject. Hopefully I'll update tonight about today's events.

No comments: