1.21.2009

Sundance Day 4 and 5

Tuesday:
Not much went on on Tuesday, oh except getting a brand spanking new and shiny President. I went to a Slamdance Fireside Chat, a panel discussion/seminar type thing, about screenwriting. It was so informative and kind of inspiring. I was definitely in the mood to write after the Chat. Then I hung around on Main Street until I decided to just go back to my room and relax for the night because Wednesday was going to be very busy.

Wednesday:
The day began with going to the Eccles to waitlist for "Cold Souls". While waiting in the waitlist room, someone came in and sold me a ticket-surprisingly at the very moment I came up with an idea for a short film. "Cold Souls" stars Paul Giamatti as himself. It's a comedy about soul storage and what happens to someone once their soul is removed, and when their soul goes missing from the storage facility! It was my favorite thing I've seen this year, hands down. Then I hauled ass over to the Prospector to see "Bronson". This film wasn't bad, but it wasn't great either. It was hyped up as being super violent, but I've seen much more violent films. It also seemed to be influenced by several other films, Hardy's performance as Bronson seemed a bit similar to Daniel Day Lewis in "There Will Be Blood", and overall the film seemed influenced by Kubric's masterpiece "A Clockwork Orange", mixing classical music with violence. Not much story, but Hardy does do a great job in the vaudeville scenes. After that, I hauled ass over to the Raquet Club to see "The Missing Person" starring one of my favorites, Michael Shannon. This was a modern day noir which was pretty good, Shannon was fantastic. It could use a little polish, but overall, pretty damn good. Then I got to Main Street to the OC Tanner venue to see Eliza Wren's Return to Oz show. Eliza Wren, inspired by the 1985 film "Return to Oz" starring Fairuza Balk, performed an entirely new soundtrack of original songs while the movie played on TVs. It was fun to watch it again, even though I couldn't hear the dialogue. The absolute best part was being able to talk with Fairuza Balk. I've been a fan of hers since I was little with "Return to Oz" and "The Worst Witch". She even took a picture of my Oz tattoo for her myspace page! She is super nice and I think I spoke with her for nearly ten minutes. I'm a little excited about it, if you couldn't tell.

I am never going to do that many things in one day ever again. I'm exhausted, didn't eat very much, and I didn't get to stay for the Q&As-which are part of the reason I love seeing the movies at Sundance. The day did go by super fast though, I can't believe it's over already. I only have two days left up here to see movies. Bummer.

No comments: